Ποιός να το φανταζόταν πως υπάρχει μια τόσο μεγάλη πολυεθνική η οποία έχει διασυνδέσεις σε όλο τον κόσμο και μέσα από παροχές υπηρεσιών σε τομείς που θα έπρεπε να αφορούν τον κρατικό μηχανισμό κάθε χώρας αυτοί ελέγχουν:
- αεροδρόμια, μέσα μαζικής μεταφοράς, ιδιωτικές φυλακές, υπηρεσίες μεταναστών, στρατόπεδα, πανεπιστημιακές σχολές, εκδόσεις διπλωμάτων οδήγησης κ.α. με τρόπο τέτοιο που η ασφάλεια και οι μεταφορές των πολιτών παραδίδονται στα χέρια ιδιωτών...
|Type||Public (LSE: SRP)|
|Headquarters||Hook, England, UK|
|Key people||Alastair Lyons, Chairman |
Christopher Hyman, CEO
|Revenue||£3.97 billion (2009)|
|Operating income||£212.1 million (2009)|
|Net income||£130.2 million (2009)|
HistorySerco was founded in 1929 as a United Kingdom division of the Radio Corporation of America and initially provided services to the cinema industry. It changed its name to Serco in 1987and has been a London Stock Exchange listed company since 1988.
On 29 December 2008, Serco completed its acquisition of SI International.
OperationsThe Guardian has called Serco "probably the biggest company you've never heard of."
Serco operates in various sectors:
- Transport: Serco operates London's Docklands Light Railway, Woolwich Free Ferryand Cycle Hire scheme (all for Transport for London), and Great Southern Railways in Australia.Serco also has a joint venture with NedRailways, the UK arm of Dutch national rail operator Nederlandse Spoorwegen, to operate passenger trains in the UK: Serco-NedRailways has a 25 year concession for Merseyrail in Liverpool and operates Northern Rail services in the north of England.Serco also operates the Dubai Metro. Serco formerly operated the Copenhagen Metro with Ansaldo STS, until selling its share with effect from 1 January 2008. In addition, Serco Rail Operations operates infrastructure monitoring trains in the UK. Serco's Home Affairs division, run by Tom Riall, also operates speed camera systems throughout the UK and designs, writes and tests the software that controls the matrix message signs, signals, emergency roadside telephones (SOS) and traffic monitoring on England's motorway network including the National Traffic Control Centre.
- Detention: Serco supplies electronic tagging devices for offenders and asylum seekers.In Britain, Serco runs four prisons, a Young Offenders Institution and a Secure Training Centre. It also operates two Immigration Removal Centres. Serco is also responsible for the contracted-out court escort services in the south-east area (formerly a role undertaken by HM Prison Service).In addition, Serco runs Hunfeld Prison in Germany. In Australia Serco runs Acacia Prison in Western Australia and Borallon Correctional Facility in Queensland
- Defence: Serco holds defence contracts worldwide including the UK Government’s first modern outsourced contract for the operation and maintenance of the UK Ballistic Missile Early Warning System at RAF Fylingdales; contracts are also held for the operation and maintenance of RAF Brize Norton, RAF Halton and RAF Northolt in the UK and RAF Ascension Island in the mid-Atlantic. Serco also provides support services to garrisons in Australia. Serco also manages many aspects of operations at the Defence College of Management and Technology in Shrivenham. Serco is one of three partners in the consortium which manages the Atomic Weapons Establishment. Serco also has a 15 year contract worth £400 million to provide facilities management services to Dstl.
- Royal Navy marine services: Serco Denholm, a joint venture with the Denholm Group, is responsible for fleet support at the three main UK naval bases, HMNB Portsmouth, HMNB Devonport and HMNB Clyde.
- Aviation: Serco provides air traffic control services at international airports in Dubai, Bahrain and at some smaller airports in the USA. Since 2004 Serco have also had £5m a year from the US government to manage airports in Iraq.
- Health: Serco provide facilities management services at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Leicester Royal Infirmary, and Wishaw General Hospital.
- Education: Serco holds a 10 year contract with Bradford City Council to manage and operate the local education authority, providing education support services to the City's schools, and similarly manages and operates Walsalland Stoke-on-Trent local education authorities. Serco is one of Ofsted's three Regional Inspection Service Providers, responsible for school inspections in the English Midlands.Serco is also the provider of a Student information system, Facility, used in schools and colleges in several countries.
- Drivers' licensing: Serco, through a purpose-made division Serco DES, holds a 10 year, $114 million contract with the Province of Ontario to operate the province's DriveTest driver examination centres. These tests include vision, road, and knowledge tests for all persons seeking to become a licensed automobile driver in the province.
- Leisure: Serco operates a number of leisure centres across the UK including the Manchester Aquatics Centre, the aquatic venue for the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester.
- Serco also administers a number of publicly funded websites in the UK, including the Business Link website.
Serco operates in Continental Europe, the Middle East, the Asia Pacific region and North America, but the majority of its turnover still comes from the UK.
- Serco presently runs the IT Infrastructure for the London Borough of Southwark winning the 5 year tender in 2007.